Wednesday, July 25, 2012

How to realize that we are killing love.


I'm scared we are killing love. 
Not just me. Not just you. Not just the few people who go through relationships like underwear. 
I mean us. 
All of us together. 
We are killing love. 
This isn't something I say lightly.
This isn't just some line in Dan in Real life. ("You are the murderer of love!")
Nope. I'm dead serious. 
I don't know how it happened either. 
We grew up being spoon fed love stories. We grew up with fairy tales and romantic comedies and dating websites... 
We have grown up being told constantly that love exists and that it is out there for you. 
That's what the movies say. That's what we keep telling each other. 
Maybe we've becoming too.... too expectant. 
We want someone to write us every day for a year in hopes that our love isn't over. We want a man who will let you have the life jacket and the piece of wood to lay on while he freezes in the ocean. We want someone who will do everything they can to remind you of who you are when you've gotten in a car accident and don't remember the last few years of your life. We want someone to save us from out wicked step-sisters. 
We want love. 
We search for it. 
But we want those stories. 
We want the stories that make you reach for more. That make your heart just swell with love. We want the type that make other people envious. 
And I think when love comes in less obvious ways.... When it just sneaks up behind you while your watching a movie with your friend. Or getting hot chocolate before class. Or when you fall down the stairs in the mall... We don't think that's enough. 
Suuure it's love. But it's not a beautiful love story. 
It's not like Noah and Allie. Or Jack and Rose. 
This is boring. 
We each want the stories we read about. Not some real life story. Not something that can happen at any given moment in the most boring way possible. We want the real deal. The fireworks in the sky while you kiss type of love. 
But the thing is, real love doesn't always come in those type of ways. And that's the scary part.
We don't see the beauty in the "boring" love stories as much anymore. 
And we don't think they are enough. 
So we reach for more. We hope for more. And we ruin what we have. 
We ruin the most beautiful love story while it's in the making because it isn't like the movies 
The reason it's not like the movies, guys, is because you're killing it before you even hit the climax. 
The problem does not lie in your story not being enough. The problem lies in the fact that you are lazy and don't want to work to the end. 
Yes. I'm speaking to you. I'm speaking to all of us. Because I think we all have a tendency to do this. 
I am worried. 
I am worried that my children one day will grow up in a world where people get divorced after a few years because they "just fell out of love." I am worried that my children will grow up in a world where people go in to a marriage thinking "well if this does't work I can always get divorced." I am worried my children will grow up in a world where one night stands are something the people aspire to have. I am worried my children will grow up in a world much like the one I live in now. 
And I'm scared it's only downhill from here. 
I want to believe in love. I want to realize it can come anywhere. I want to know it isn't as glamorous as movies make it out to be. I want to be excited for the messy fights and the irreconcilable differences. I want to be excited for a love story that isn't perfect. I don't want to expect something like the movies. I don't want to waste my life looking for something better than the most amazing love story that could ever be written for me. 
I think we are killing love. 
I think we are expecting too much of it and then leaving it to die on it's own. And I think we are teaching children the wrong lesson. We aren't teaching them to endure. We aren't teaching them to learn and grow from someone totally different from them.
We are teaching them that love can die. 
And I don't want my children to think that. 
Because I don't think they, or anyone, should have to live in a world that love is dying in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment