Monday, March 4, 2013

left over words

And what if I ran out of words years ago but I keep pulling from my piles and piles of already used thank you's and I'm sorry's and hello's and nice to meet you's and I love you's and goodbye's?
What if you're only getting hand-me-downs out of every word I speak, nothing original, nothing meant for you, nothing fitting just right?
What if I hand you a "hello" with a hole in the side, only big enough for a finger to fit in but that you're still able to see right through?
What if the "you look good today" doesn't fit in the shoulders, almost there but you just need to grow, gain a pound or two to fit in it like he used to?
What if the "I'm alright" looks like everyone in the town has thrown it on the ground and stomped on it before returning it to me, moments before giving it to you?
And what if I ran out of any original words and thoughts and emotions to give you? What if I'm using the left overs, the stuff no one wanted, the stuff they gave back?
Would you take it anyway?
What if it's all I have, and I want to give it only to you?
Can you wear a torn and sewn back together "I love you"?


1 comment:

  1. You know those poems that look like paragraphs that we really struggle to identify as "poems" but all the poets in the world are like, "oh no, this is the most beautiful poem ever"? Yeah, that's what you have here. You should have used this in 4406. Just sayin'. I really, really, really, love this.

    ReplyDelete