Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Where Am I? ( A Poem.)


Surrounded by walls that I never built
Just sitting in the corner and watching them rise
As if they want to shut me in
As if they thought I couldn’t build it myself.
The last brick is placed
And I’m silently gasping
The air I was breathing is now suddenly lacking
And I feel no need to fight.

You whispered you love me and you took my hand.

But wait, what is happening?
Why are you crying?  Why are we here?
Why did you take my hand and lead me to the only place I can’t escape?
Where did you go and why is it dark?
There is no exit sign here to be a mark
of my only hope,
of my one way out.
Where am I?

Where am I?
I was lying in the grass while the sun was shining
And there was chalk on the sidewalk and some children laughing
And then it dissolved.
I watched it dissolve.
It was all fading and I was screaming
And now here I am.
But where am I?
Am I lying in the grass
but for some reason it’s black?
Where did it go?

And that’s when I feel those arms wrap around me
And the confusion is gone
And I’m suddenly happy.
And that’s when I realize it didn’t dissolve.
I did.

And I’m in this room now
With bricks on top of bricks on top of more bricks.
The world with grass and sun and chalk and children is still out there
But I’m not.

You whispered you love me and you took my hand
And led me to the only place that I can’t escape.
And it was beautiful while you were there.
But then you built your own room and left me here.
And now I’m pounding on the walls
Begging for them to give in
But instead pieces just slowly fall apart and on to my head
And causes me to lose my….
Oh what’s that word?
Right… memory.

And I wonder what….
And I feel like…
And sometimes I….
And they…
And then I….
I don’t know.
Somewhere in this room I dropped my words
And now I can’t pick them up.
They’re too small and too fragile
And I love them too much to make them part of this.
So I let them fall through the cracks
And instead I’ll sit in silence.
Lost in this room.
Hoping that maybe my words,
As they fall through the cracks,
Find their way to someone, to you,
In your very own room,
And then you won’t be so alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment