Saturday, November 19, 2011

How to look forward.

I've been thinking about the past. Which, you know, isn't weird for me. 
I write about it all the time, and recently I've started to notice how much I talk about it. 
See, I started using 750 words. Which is, basically, a website based on just writing 750 words a day about anything at all, every day. Which is why this blog has been lacking. I've been busy on tumblr and with friends and with school and with 750 words. But anyway, back to the point, it keeps stats on what your posts are about. It's totally private but it looks for key words and such to tell you what your mood of your writing was that day and everything. It's super interesting and eye opening. And I found that I talk about the past a lot more than I realized. 
And it's been bothering me. 
Actually, a LOT of things have been bothering me lately. 
But mostly this. 
Because I want to move on. Why haven't I moved on? Why does it seem to come up in every conversation? 
I was walking out of creative writing yesterday after a discussion on what to do when we get stuck in our writing when I got a song stuck in my head from A Very Potter Sequel. 
"There is literally NO way we can move forward from this point." 
"But if we can't move forward, why shouldn't we move back?"
So this song is stuck in my head. And I was thinking about how with writing, when we get super stuck, it's sometimes because something in our story has gone totally wrong and part of us knows that we need to fix that because the story can't move forward from that point. 
And THEN I realized that's exactly what I've been doing. 
Part of me (and by part I mean most) feels like I can't move forward from this point. 
And I feel comfortable going back and looking at the past all the time. 
There's all these little things that I would go back and correct if I could, just to make my story flow better now. 
But that's where life gets different than writing. We aren't granted that option to go back and fix those minor details that could change everything. 
And this is the moment where you have to realize that your past is here to stay. 
Maybe you really will talk about it all the time. But I don't think that means you are holding yourself back. I think it means that you recognize that it's a huge part of you. And that there are still lessons to be learned from them. And that you already have learned so much from them, things you probably need to share with someone at some point. 
We need each other so bad. 
We need each other's pasts. 
Stop trying to fix your imperfect past. And stop pretending that it never existed. 
Because only from the past can we learn about the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment