Sunday, November 27, 2011

How to love perfectly.

Have you ever fallen in love?
Like, not stupid 2 week relationship and I'm so in love with him crap.
I mean truly deeply in love.
Where you wake up in the morning with a smile on your face and you see yourself marrying him (or her) and you just know that with all your heart, they are it. Or even when you wake up in the morning still crying from whatever is bothering you but you still know they are it. You're in love. Nothing else matters.
Now really, have you ever fallen in love?
I used to think love meant life was perfect.
Like, I'm in love so now life can go perfectly and I'll be a cute housewife and have the most amazing children with the guy I love and nothing will ever go wrong.
Until I actually loved. 
I began to realize that I can sit here and love someone with my entire heart, but that doesn't make life perfect. That doesn't make me magically happy. 
See, love doesn't fix things. 
On the contrary, it can make things a lot more difficult. 
Because suddenly you love another person. Suddenly you care about everything that happens to them. Suddenly you aren't just taking care of yourself, you're responsible, or at least you feel responsible, for another person. 
We don't love perfect people. Perfect people don't exist. 
We love flawed people. People who will hurt us. People who are broken. People with colorful pasts. People with hidden secrets. People with mental illnesses. People who are just like you. 
I think, sometimes we get so caught up in finding the perfect person that we forget that once we find them, they have flaws. And then we get disappointed and they get disappointed and it's messy and people get their feelings hurt. 
But, you know, we work through that. Because we love them. 
One day I woke up, and love was gone. 
Love was no longer tapping at my window, waking me up for another beautiful day. 
And for a long time, I was mad and sad and angry and helpless and... a bunch of other negative words. 
I was in love. It was supposed to work. I was supposed to be getting married and being a cute little housewife with cute little children and a cute little home. And I couldn't understand why love left me. 
But over months and months of crying and praying and over analyzing everything, I figured some things out. 
Loving someone doesn't make them stay. 
Loving someone doesn't make you stay either. 
I think we like the idea of the person being the perfect person for you. 
I mean, what can be better than finding that one person who just... gets you? That person that laughs with you and makes you laugh and holds you when you're upset and loves you more than anything and says all the right things... 
And maybe they are the perfect person for you. 
But maybe they are just the perfect person for you at that time. 
I've loved lots of people through my life. Friends, boyfriends, family. But they aren't all here anymore. 
I have had some amazing best friends that I thought would never leave, but they aren't here anymore. 
I needed them more than anything at the time. They were the perfect best friends for me. But they left. And now I have the perfect best friends for me for this time. 
I guess, my point is that love comes and goes. 
We will lose people we love. 
And it will hurt. 
But it's not the end. 
There is someone else who will be perfect for you at a different time. 
And when they come along, see their flaws, love them, accept them. And accept and love that life will not be perfect with them.  
But that doesn't mean you can't love them perfectly. 

1 comment:

  1. People say hate is a strong word but they use the word love like it is trash, very good.

    ReplyDelete