Sunday, March 6, 2011

How to be scared.

It's easy to be scared. 
Life is full of what if's. 
What if I fail that test? What if I can't make enough money to do the things I want to do? What if my best friend dies tomorrow? What if I never find love again? What if I don't wake up in the morning? 
These flood the mind like nothing else can. And the more we think about them, the more scared we become. 
Because guess what. We really don't know whats in store for us next. 
It's easy to be scared of what we don't know. Its even easier to be scared of what we don't know and can't even control. 
I can control if I fail a test or not. There are things I can do to prevent it. I also know what it takes to make the type of money I need and will continue to need. But there are some things we just can't control. 
We can't control if we lose a best friend. We can't stop someone from dying. We can't stop someone from making some really stupid decisions. We don't when these things are going to happen, and we can't control them even if we did know. 
Its easy to be scared when looking in to the eyes of a best friend. When will be the last time you will look in those eyes? When will what's inside of those eyes, change? When will you stop being able to recognize the person you know so well in those eyes? When will those eyes shut for the last time? 
Its easy to be scared when watching someone walk away. When will they come back? Will they come back? Will someone else ever love you again like they did? 
Fear is easy. 
Whats hard is letting go of that fear and taking chances. 
Fear stops people from doing so many things. Maybe a girl wants to be the star of a musical, but shes scared she won't make it so she doesn't even try. These situations happen all the time. And they might be whats causing us to be less than our full potential. 
I don't know whats going to happen tomorrow. No one does. I may wake up to America being bombed. I may find out at noon that a best friend is now dead. I may start talking to the guy of my dreams. I don't know whats going to happen. And I'm scared to death of what it may be. 
But I also know theres no avoiding these things. 
Life happens. 
It's easy to be scared. 
But we can't let it hold us back.

No comments:

Post a Comment