Friday, May 13, 2011

How to move on.

I'm standing in a dark room. 
There's exercise equipment all around me. I've got my water bottle in one hand and a door knob in the other. But I'm not moving. My heels make too much noise when I move. I can't ruin this moment. I can't break the silence. 
I'm standing in a crowded store. 
I hear babies crying. I see little boys try on necklaces. I get ran into a few times. They don't see me. But of course, I don't see them either. I can't make eye contact. What will they see? 
I'm standing in an empty building. 
My friends laugh around me. They see the empty. I see the chairs I once sat in and the floor I once walked on. I see the people that aren't there anymore. I see me holding myself together in every corner.
I'm standing in a still parking lot. 
There are cars driving on the road above me. They look down at me as they drive off. I see their glances. Then suddenly, they are gone. Off to where ever they need to be. Forgetting instantly about the girl standing in the parking lot. 
I'm standing in my room. 
There are clothes everywhere. I stare at the papers on the floor and read the words I once lived in. Remnants of what used to be scattered all around me. A cast picture. Some sheet music. A graduation cap. A picture of me laughing.
I'm standing in front of a mirror. 
The "I love you" sticker my mom placed there a few years ago is covering where my left arm should be seen. My eyes analyze what they see on my face. A smile? A frown?  Lip gloss smeared from too much kissing? Mascara smeared down my cheeks?
I'm standing in a dark room. 
Exercise equipment all around me. I sigh and break the silence. Taking one step in front of another. As much as I'd love to stand there forever, unseen and quiet, what other choice do I have but to take a step forward and ruin my perfect silence?
And as it turns out, I love the sound my heels make when echoing in that dark room.

No comments:

Post a Comment