Saturday, July 9, 2011

How to let people go.

Sometimes, I have the hardest time letting go of people.
You know, for any reason. Whether they move or we having a falling out or they die, I can't do it. I can't accept when people are gone.
And I never have been able to. Maybe that why I've stayed such good friends with my friends who moved. Because I can't let them go. I can't imagine someone I love going on through life without me. Or me going on through life without them.
But lately I've had to let people go. And it feels weird. It feels incredibly weird to see an old friend in the store and to smile and talk awkwardly, but know that there's no longer any connection. It feels weird to see pictures of my friend's who have died and know that I will never see that smile again. It feels weird to get texts from old friends and to try to keep a conversation going but knowing that it's pointless. It feels weird to walk away from people, or to stop talking to people, and feel nothing. 
But I had this realization. 
And it was that God knows what he's doing. Which, you know, should be common knowledge, and on some level it was. But it really hit me last night. Because the people that I've needed are still here. Maybe the people leaving have simply served their purpose.
And sometimes I love these people more than anything. So it's super hard to let them go. Because I wanna be with them. I want to make sure they are safe. 
But if they needed me, they'd still be here. 
So maybe, we are all going to be okay. 
Whether we have the people we miss or not. 
Either way, we have the people we need. 
And all of us are going to be okay.
And it's a lot easier to let people go when you know they are in hands of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment