Sunday, April 24, 2011

How to know for sure.

Here I am again sitting in my room completely lost. 
See, sometimes you think you know where you are going. You have it all planned out and you can't see how it could fail. And sometimes it works out really well for a long time. And then right when its there... right within your reach... suddenly it's gone. And you have to start over. 
When I'm upset, I close my eyes. I shut them really tight. It's a habit I've just recently noticed myself doing.
I think I do it because I don't wanna see things going wrong around me. Because when I do, I become so seriously disillusioned.
They were things I once I knew. And suddenly everything tells me I've been wrong the whole time. 
I "knew" my best friend would live near me forever.
I "knew" I was a good enough writer to pass that test. 
I "knew" my first love would stick around.
I "knew" I was going to marry him.
I "knew" he loved me. 
ect. ect. 
And then I was wrong. My best friend moved far away. I didn't pass that test. My first love left quickly. I didn't marry him. And he doesn't love me. 
I was wrong. And those are the moments I close my eyes. Because I don't want to see everything I "know" fall apart. 
As an English major, I realize life is subject to change. It happens all the time. MLA format changes yearly. Studies about life and love are constantly proved wrong and then a new idea comes up. And this isn't just me thats effected by this. Not by a long shot. 
Everyone has change thrown at them on a daily basis. All these things we swear we know, are proved wrong. 
The world was once flat. They were wrong. 
How many things like that are going to be proven wrong within our life? 
It's so hard to be told constantly over and over again that everything we've thought for so long was true, was actually wrong. We are wrong. Never right. Wrong. 
How discouraging, right? 
So here I sit. Thinking about all the times I've been wrong and waiting to find out whats next. 
And its super depressing. And isn't life depressing enough as it is without me thinking of things to make it more so? 
I have this idea. 
It's a beautiful idea. 
It's one where we all stop focusing on things that we have been proven wrong about and start focusing on things that we know for sure. Without a doubt. 
Because we get proven wrong a lot.
So I'm writing a list. 
Things I know for sure.
~ My parents are Dan and Eileen Ruth. And they love me. 
~ Life can be hard. 
~ Life can be beautiful.
~ Sometimes we are wrong.
~ Sometimes things do not work out the way we plan.
~ Life moves on.
~ Things always work out in the end.
~ My Redeemer lives.
~ The Atonement happened.
~ The Atonement works. For every one of us.
~ The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true. 
~ There is a plan. 
~ People die. 
~ People are born. 
~ I am effing great. 
~ Tomorrow I may cry or I may laugh. It can't be predicted. 
~ Tomorrow always comes. 
~ Music is wonderful.

That's all for today. I'm thinking it'll be my new Sunday thing. Thursdays I take for recognizing the little things I love. And Sundays I focus on the things I know for sure.
So go write what You know. 
Now. 
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment