Saturday, April 2, 2011

How to live TODAY.

Sometimes, I spend all day thinking all these beautiful thoughts, and thinking about how I can't wait to write it all out. Then, I sit here and I realize how tired I am and how little time I have. And those wonderful, beautiful, crazy thoughts I have so often, never get shared. Isn't that sad? I think it is. 
Life amazes me. Every. Day. 
Because, think about it, life is new. Every. Day. 
This is the ONLY time you will ever live today. 
As I write this, it's April 3rd, 2011. And this is the only April 3rd, 2011 that I will EVER live. And anyone born after today, will never get to experience it. They only get to hear about it. But I get to live it. 
Not every day is special in the long run. Yesterday, no one I know died. No terrorist attacks happened in America. No presidential election took place. I did not fall in love. I did not fall out of love. I had no "wow, this is the first time I have ever done this" moments. It was just a day. And in a few months, I won't remember it. Most days are like this. We live, but in a few months it's almost like we didn't live that day. Because we don't remember it. Isn't that sad? 
We live so many days waiting. 
We are always waiting to fall in love. We are always waiting to become successful. We are always waiting for the next big thing. We are always waiting for happiness to hit us. For life to start. 
But while we are waiting, we are letting now pass us by. 
And before we know it, April 3rd, 2011 is over. 
We had one chance to get it right, and suddenly our opportunity is gone. 
It's like God is up there and hes like "Look! Here's a brand new day for you!" and we look at it and say "Oh. It's just like yesterday. I'm still not happy." And then we do nothing significant. And when the day is over, God looks at us and is like "Really? I gave you 24 hours to start over, and you did nothing? Fine. Here's another day. Don't mess this one up." And then we repeat the process till finally He is like "Okay okay, here's that promotion you wanted. You can have it if you promise to be happy." And we are for a while. Then we fall back in to the same pattern. Over and over and over again. Until we are old and dying. Wondering where all those days went. 
Wondering why we can only pick out 2 or 3 days of every year of our life that have significant meaning to us. Wondering what happened to the other days of those years. Wondering why you spent so much time waiting and not enough time doing. 
Today is the only April 3rd, 2011 that we will ever experience. It's the only one we have. And YOU get it. Your children will only hear about it. They don't get it. Not like you do. 
So why not live today? Don't let it pass as if it was nothing. It's one of a kind. Why can't we see that?

No comments:

Post a Comment